Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Capital Region News
Tue March 5, 2013
Trouble With Wind Turbines
Residents in one Columbia County community have had it with wind turbines: neighbors along Carson Road on Winchell Mountain in Ancram say they've been awakened in the middle of the night by noises as loud as foghorns or hovering helicopters, so intense that the windows in their houses rattle.
The Columbia Paper reports that the Town Board has been fielding complaints about the racket since August. In February the board voted to begin the process of revoking the permits based on misrepresentations about how much noise they make.
Town officials say the revocation process will start by asking turbine owners to shut them down voluntarily. If they refuse, there will be a public hearing, followed by building inspector notification that they are not in compliance with an injunction.
Public hearings held prior to the turbines' installation in two years ago had determined noise was not an issue. One vendor suggested to the paper that the complaints may be the result of neighbors not getting along.