Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
Hudson Valley News
Tue September 4, 2012
Ulster County Considers Options for Jail
As Ulster County officials consider what to do with surplus county property, they are looking at razing the former county jail.
County Executive Michael Hein has a plan that could save the county money in the process.
“One of the things we are looking at is having scrap metal that exists within the facility being utilized to help offset potential demolition costs so that we can bring it down to a flat pad,” Hein said.
The county would then explore its options to sell the property to a private developer.
A small portion of the old county jail is currently being used to house state parolees.