Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Western Massachusetts School Investigates Allegations Of Inappropriate Sexual Conduct
New England News
Thu August 30, 2012
UMass Amherst Set To Begin New School Year
The population of Amherst Massachusetts will swell by tens of thousands of people during the next several days as college students move in for the start of a new school year. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports
The state’s flagship public university campus will welcome its most academically accomplished first year class in its history. The roughly 45 hundred members of the UMass Amherst Class of 2016 had average SAT scores seven points higher than last year’s freshman class. Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy said the university is attracting quality students from across the state and the country.
Subbaswamy said he is continuing a strategy begun by his predecessor to increase revenue , by admitting more out of state students, who pay a higher tuition than Massachusetts residents.