Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
New England News
Wed August 29, 2012
UMass Ranked 14th Nationally for Innovation
The five-campus University of Massachusetts system generated $35 million during the 2011 fiscal year from the commercialization of its academic research, putting the school 14th nationally. WAMC’s Lucas Willard reports…
A report from the Association of University Technology Managers found that UMass signed 25 licenses, created one startup company, and filed 50 patent applications. UMass was sixth overall among public institutions and second behind only the Massachusetts Institute of Technology among Bay State schools.
President Robert Caret says research at UMass fuels the innovation economy in Massachusetts, benefits students and improves the quality of life in the state and around the world.
About 90 percent of the income derived from research innovations was generated by the medical school in Worcester. The university has campuses in Amherst, Boston, Dartmouth and Lowell.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.