Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Thu October 11, 2012
Underground blast rattles downtown Glens Falls
Authorities say an underground explosion damaged several buildings in Glens Falls… more from WAMC’s Dave Lucas
Fire officials in the city 45 miles north of Albany tell the Post-Star of Glens Falls that the explosion occurred at 6:45 a.m. Thursday. Police and witnesses report seeing flames shooting several feet from manholes on downtown streets, where residents reported feeling their buildings being rattled by the blast.
Officials believe the blast was caused by an underground transformer that exploded.
Several businesses and apartments have been evacuated. Fire officials say several buildings had basement damage from the force of the explosions, and some streets are closed.
A National Grid utility crew was checking to see what caused the blast.
© 2012 Associated Press