Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
Thu October 11, 2012
Underground blast rattles downtown Glens Falls
Authorities say an underground explosion damaged several buildings in Glens Falls… more from WAMC’s Dave Lucas
Fire officials in the city 45 miles north of Albany tell the Post-Star of Glens Falls that the explosion occurred at 6:45 a.m. Thursday. Police and witnesses report seeing flames shooting several feet from manholes on downtown streets, where residents reported feeling their buildings being rattled by the blast.
Officials believe the blast was caused by an underground transformer that exploded.
Several businesses and apartments have been evacuated. Fire officials say several buildings had basement damage from the force of the explosions, and some streets are closed.
A National Grid utility crew was checking to see what caused the blast.
© 2012 Associated Press