Most Active Stories
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
New York News
Wed May 22, 2013
Unemployment Rates Drop In All Area Counties
ALBANY – Unemployment rates in Hudson Valley/Catskills counties in April fell over one year ago levels.
Rockland County had the lowest rate this April at 5.8 percent while Sullivan County had the highest rate, at 8.9 percent, a full point lower than its 9.9 percent rate in March.
State labor analyst John Nelson said those statistics are encouraging.
“The job market is expanding and is continuing to expand and when you are looking at the unemployment rate numbers, certainly the fact that we went from a 7.2 percent in April 2012 to 6.5 percent, a seven-tenths of a percent drop, that is a good reason to feel optimistic,” Nelson said.
During the same timeframe, new jobs in the Hudson Valley grew by 10,200.