Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
WAMC New England News
Tue December 19, 2006
University of Vermont Eliminates SSNs as ID Number, Setting Example for New Vermont Law
By Pat Bradley
Burlington, VT – The University of Vermont is changing their system of identification numbers. Like many universities over the years, the college had been using social security numbers. But several years ago, the institution began to phase out public use of SSN's. The state of Vermont has also deemed the use of the individual's government issued number off limits. WAMC's North Country Bureau Chief Pat Bradley has more.