Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
WAMC New England News
Tue December 19, 2006
University of Vermont Eliminates SSNs as ID Number, Setting Example for New Vermont Law
By Pat Bradley
Burlington, VT – The University of Vermont is changing their system of identification numbers. Like many universities over the years, the college had been using social security numbers. But several years ago, the institution began to phase out public use of SSN's. The state of Vermont has also deemed the use of the individual's government issued number off limits. WAMC's North Country Bureau Chief Pat Bradley has more.