Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New York News
Mon May 27, 2013
UPDATED 7:30 pm: All-clear given after Brooklyn Bridge closure
NEW YORK (AP) — New York City police have given an all-clear after an abandoned vehicle closed the Brooklyn Bridge at the tail end of the Memorial Day long weekend.
Police say the Dodge Durango found stopped along the Manhattan-bound side of the span had no license plates when they investigated Monday evening.
Investigators say they received the call around 5:15 p.m. and halted traffic in both directions around 6 p.m. Police gave the all-clear as of 7 p.m.
The New York Police Department's bomb squad and other investigators headed to the area to check out the car. Television footage showed police trucks stationed on the empty span near the blue SUV as traffic backed up on nearby roadways.
The bridge has been closed before because of suspicious packages.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.