Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New York News
Tue August 14, 2012
US statistics show 24.5 percent of NY adults obese
A new federal government survey shows New York has a relatively low level of obesity among adults. WAMC’s Dave Lucas has the numbers.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention figures for 2011 released Monday reports more than a third of adults nationwide were obese.
The rate in New York stood at 24.5 percent.
That compares with 12 states where at least 30 percent were obese.
Colorado was lowest, at just under 21 percent, and Mississippi was highest at nearly 35 percent.
The results were based on a telephone survey that asked adults their height and weight. For the first time, households with only cell phones were included.