Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
North Country News
Thu July 11, 2013
Vermont Airport to Host Small Plane Manufacturer
Vermont officials say a German light aircraft manufacturer is going to set up operations at the Newport State Airport creating 25 jobs.
The expansion was announced Thursday by Governor Peter Shumlin and the owners of the Jay Peak resort who are leading an economic charge designed to create thousands of jobs in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom.
Flight Design USA manufactures seven light-sport aircraft models and has delivered more than 1,800 airplanes to customers around the world.
The Newport assembly and distribution facility will be Flight Design's fifth distribution center in the U.S. It will distribute light-sport aircraft to New England and Eastern Canada.
Construction is due to begin next spring and operations will begin next summer, as will a flight school.
The Newport airport is located in the town of Coventry.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.