Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
New England News
Tue October 16, 2012
Vermont Attorney General Candidates Debate
One of the most-watched contests in Vermont this election season is the race for the state Attorney General. The state’s largest newspaper recently hosted a debate between the three candidates vying for the position.
The Attorney General’s race has been in the spotlight for months. A hotly contested primary between the Chittenden County State’s Attorney and the incumbent Attorney General caught Vermonters’ attention, and now Incumbent Democrat Bill Sorrell faces two challengers: Republican Jack McMullen and Progressive Ed Stanak. The recent debate at the Burlington Free Press offices, moderated by Associate Editor Michael Kilian, offered no rebuttals. But there were a few testy exchanges. Editorial Page Editor Aki Soga began by asking what voters need to know about the candidates.
Several exchanges highlighted the discord and disparity between the candidates. Republican Jack McMullen set one off when he characterized his opponents as inappropriate activists. Free Press Editorial Editor Aki Soga asked the incumbent about the merits of appealing lawsuits surrounding the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant.
Audio is courtesy of the Burlington-Free-Press-dot-com Livestream.
A link to the full debate video is available thru our website - wamc.org