Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
Mon November 12, 2012
Vermont Bridge to Stay Closed a Bit Longer
A contractor that had hoped to have a key Vermont bridge fully renovated by year's end says the structure is going to stay closed a bit longer.
The contractor says it ran into unexpected problems recently involving the support structure and soil at the Veterans Memorial Long Bridge in Newport.
The bridge over Lake Memphremagog closed in 2010 for repairs. The closing meant lost access from Newport to a major east-west truck route. It connects to Western Avenue and the Interstate 91 access road.
The Caledonian Record reports the contractor, Reed and Reed, had hoped to complete work on the deck that links downtown to Western Avenue in time to have paving done before winter arrives. But unforeseen circumstances means the bridge won't open this winter as planned.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.