Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
Fri November 2, 2012
Vermont City Settles Ex-Firefighter's Harassment Suit
The city of Barre has settled a sexual harassment case filed by a former member of the fire department.
The city will pay $250,000 to Rachel Wyatt, who sued the city, its fire department, chief, deputy chief and two firefighters for sexual harassment and wrongful dismissal.
The terms of the settlement were disclosed this week.
Under the agreement no party makes any admission concerning the strength or weakness of any claim.
One of Wyatt's lawyers told The Times Argus that the settlement was a satisfactory resolution. She said her client wanted to "send a strong message that women who enter into nontraditional fields should be able to expect that their rights will be respected."
City Mayor Thom Lauzon says the city has zero tolerance for any kind of harassment.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.