Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
North Country News
Fri December 7, 2012
Vermont Cops Show Site Alaska Killer Hid Murder Tools
Vermont police say the Alaska man who killed an Essex couple used weapons he had buried near a hiking trail along the banks of the Winooski River.
In 2009 Israel Keyes buried a five-gallon orange bucket filled with weapons parts, ammunition, fasteners, wires and a flashlight in a remote corner of the Woodside Natural Area off Vermont Route 15.
The FBI and police say Keyes used those weapons in June 2011 when he abducted and killed Bill and Lorraine Currier from their nearby home.
Essex police showed the Burlington Free Press the location of the cache.
The FBI later found the weapons at an upstate New York reservoir.
The 34-year-old Keyes killed himself in an Alaska jail on Sunday. He has admitted killing at least eight people across the country. The FBI is also now searching for the body of a young girl who they say Keyes admitted to raping in Oregon in the mid-to-late 1990s.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.