Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
North Country News
Tue April 24, 2012
Vermont to Expand Farm to School Program
Vermont is planning to expand a program that connects schools to local farms. WAMC's Tristan O'Neill reports...
Since 2006, the Vermont Farm to School program has provided nearly 50 Vermont schools with funding to get more nutritious food into cafeterias and nutrition and agriculture education into classrooms.
Officials say a total of $200,000 in state and federal funds will allow the Vermont Agriculture Agency to expand the program over the next five years. The funding will go to schools and to support the development of regional networks and resources to evaluate the impact of the program.
The Vermont Agriculture Agency says Vermont was the first state to pass legislation to make Farm to School initiatives a priority.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.