Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Tue January 8, 2013
Vermont to Get $30M for New Psychiatric Facilities
Officials say the state of Vermont state will get $30 million in federal funds and insurance payments toward a $42 million total price tag to replace the state hospital in Waterbury, which was made unusable by flooding from Tropical Storm Irene.
Governor Peter Shumlin and others released the figures Tuesday while they were marking the start of construction on the Green Mountain Psychiatric Care Center — a 25-bed facility next to the Central Vermont Medical Center in Berlin.
Construction of the Berlin facility is expected to cost $28.5 million. The rest of total price tag will be for other, smaller facilities in other parts of the state.
State officials hope to have the Berlin facility open by early next year.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.