Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
Mon October 22, 2012
Vermont GOP Senate Candidate Says Push 'Long-Shot'
Republican U.S. Senate candidate John MacGovern knows his effort to unseat Vermont's independent U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders is a long shot, but he's pushing forward, hoping an unexpected confluence of events could send him to Washington.
The 61-year-old Windsor man has only a tiny fraction of the $6.8 million that Sanders has available. He's had no official support from the national or state Republican parties and little name recognition.
He says he's running because someone had to challenge Sanders and to help the country avoid what he sees as the "fiscal cliff" caused by the federal debt that will burden future generations.
MacGovern was born in Cambridge, Mass., He moved to Vermont in 1999. Over the years he worked with various telecommunications and electric power firms.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.