Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
Tue November 20, 2012
Vermont Governor Calls for Food Donations at Holiday
Governor Peter Shumlin is urging Vermonters to help the less fortunate by donating food, money and their volunteer time during the holiday season.
Shumlin made the comments Tuesday while he toured the Community Kitchen Academy job training program at the Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf in Burlington.
He says Thanksgiving is the time to raise awareness about Vermonters who are struggling to feed their families nutritious meals during this holiday season.
Shumlin says the Chittenden food shelf alone plans on helping 2,700 families on Thanksgiving and about 12,000 a year.
Supplemental assistance is required for many families to ensure they have adequate nutrition. Advocates estimate that one in every seven Vermont households faces what is known as "food insecurity."
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.