Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
North Country News
Wed March 20, 2013
Vermont Governor Disputes Lawmakers on State Building
Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin is disputing lawmakers' recollections of what they were told about the likely costs of new state agency offices in Montpelier.
Members of the House Corrections and Institutions Committee continue to say they got early estimates that moving the Agency of Natural Resources into the National Life Group building in Montpelier would cost roughly $2 million.
State officials now say the project grew to a currently estimated figure of $8.65 million.
Representative Alice Emmons, the Springfield Democrat who chairs the committee, says the $2 million figure was presented to the committee as a rough estimate. But she and other committee members say they were surprised when costs grew to more than four times that.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.