Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Tue September 4, 2012
Vermont Governor's Challenger Calls on Shumlin for Debates
Vermont's Republican gubernatorial candidate Randy Brock says Governor Peter Shumlin is avoiding debates before groups that could be hostile to some of his positions.
Brock made the comments Tuesday after Shumlin said he wouldn't be participating in any debates this campaign season sponsored by what he calls special interest groups.
But Shumlin said he was eager to take part in "five or six" debates sponsored by news organizations after he formally announces his candidacy next week. Shumlin says he has to balance the need to debate with his need to run the state.
Brock says Vermont voters should be able to hear from the candidates in a variety of forums and he plans to participate in debates before a variety of groups, even if he's the only one there.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.