Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Fri June 6, 2014
Vermont Gun Importer Lays Off 41, Blames Rules
A Vermont gun importer is blaming the White House for the layoff of 41 workers.
Century International Arms, of Fairfax, says the White House blocked its permits for a deal to re-import a number of historic American-made firearms from South Korea.
While the White House isn't responding to claims that the Obama administration blocked a permit allowing the company to re-import vintage World War II-era M1 rifles, last summer it issued a release saying it was blocking the re-importation of surplus military weapons as a way to reduce gun violence.
Century Arms said Thursday it had been planning on importing a large number of vintage WWII-era, M1 Garand rifles from South Korea and it had all the proper permits to do so until the White House intervened and blocked the deal.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.