Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
North Country News
Sun March 3, 2013
Vermont House Committee Approves GMO Food Bill
The Agriculture Committee in the Vermont House has approved a bill calling for genetically modified foods to be specially labeled.
The bill lays out technical definitions for what constitutes genetic modification, and says food that has been subject to those techniques must bear a label saying so.
The legislation faces an uncertain future, and is expected to go next to the House Judiciary Committee, before being debated by the full House.
Supporters of the House bill say consumers want information about what's in their food.
The bill has drawn warnings from the attorney general's office that it's likely to be challenged in a lawsuit brought by industry.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.