Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
North Country News
Wed March 20, 2013
Vermont House Debates Gasoline Tax Increase
The Vermont House is debating a transportation budget bill that would raise gasoline taxes to help pay for road and bridge repairs.
The bill would raise about $26 million in new fuel taxes and be phased in over two years. It would increase the sales tax on gasoline and reduce the per-gallon tax. Backers say this strategy would address the decline in sales of gasoline in the state.
Republicans are fighting the gas tax increase, offering an amendment that would increase borrowing for transportation projects and end state support for Amtrak passenger rail service in Vermont.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.