Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
New England News
Tue September 18, 2012
Vermont Judge Confirms Abbott Wins Progressive Primary
A Vermont judge has ruled that Martha Abbott is the winner of the Progressive Party primary election for governor.
Abbott has withdrawn and won't run in the general election. But under Vermont law, that doesn't throw the race to the second-place finisher, write-in candidate Annette Smith.
Washington Superior Court Judge Robert Bent's ruling says Smith and her team pointed out a small number of vote-counting irregularities. But the judge ruled those would not be enough to change the outcome.
The final tally stands at Abbott 381, Smith 340.
The Progressive Party will run some candidates for the Legislature this year and for some statewide offices. But it won't have a candidate for governor, instead throwing its support to incumbent Democrat Peter Shumlin.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.