Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
Tue October 16, 2012
Vermont Lawyer Wants Charges Dismissed in Tractor Case
A Vermont defense lawyer wants a judge to dismiss the charges against a man accused of driving a tractor over seven sheriffs' department cruisers because the prosecutor in the case was improperly appointed.
Attorney David Sleigh included Roger Pion in a list of 20 clients from 22 cases being prosecuted by Orleans County State's attorney Alan Franklin that he wants dismissed.
Sleigh says Governor Peter Shumlin didn't have the authority to appoint Franklin.
Former State's Attorney Keith Flynn was re-elected in 2010. But before taking the oath of office for the new term, he was appointed commissioner of the Department of Public Safety.
Sleigh tells the Caledonian-Record the county should have held a special election.
Pion is Sleigh's most well-known client on the list.
Franklin had no comment.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.