Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
North Country News
Wed January 9, 2013
Vermont Legislature's Opening Features Activist Rally
Vermont lawmakers gathering for the opening of their session were greeted by hundreds of activists pushing issues ranging from unionization of early childhood and home care providers to providing driver's licenses to farm workers in the country without the required authorization.
The Putting People First Campaign, a coalition of groups ranging from 350 Vermont to Migrant Justice, rallied at noon Wednesday to present their agenda of human rights, universal health care, workers' rights, better access to transportation and other issues.
Legislative leaders indicate it will be a tough budget year,and the advocates want a "people's budget" that includes reducing income inequality in the state.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.