Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
North Country News
Wed January 9, 2013
Vermont Legislature's Opening Features Activist Rally
Vermont lawmakers gathering for the opening of their session were greeted by hundreds of activists pushing issues ranging from unionization of early childhood and home care providers to providing driver's licenses to farm workers in the country without the required authorization.
The Putting People First Campaign, a coalition of groups ranging from 350 Vermont to Migrant Justice, rallied at noon Wednesday to present their agenda of human rights, universal health care, workers' rights, better access to transportation and other issues.
Legislative leaders indicate it will be a tough budget year,and the advocates want a "people's budget" that includes reducing income inequality in the state.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.