Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
North Country News
Fri March 8, 2013
Vermont Newspaper Criticized for Poster Typeface
The headmaster of a private Vermont school that also serves students in St. Johnsbury says none of the school's Asian students were bothered by a poster used to boost the school's basketball team that used the term "Fry Rice" with a typeface that mimicked Chinese calligraphy.
St. Johnsbury Academy Headmaster Tom Lovett made the comments after the Caledonian Record newspaper ran the full-page poster on the back of its main section ahead of Thursday's state championship basketball game.
The Asian American Journalists Association said it was appalled by what it called the page's racist undertones.
Rice Memorial High School of South Burlington won Thursday's game 48-40.
Caledonian Record Publisher Todd Smith says he would write an editorial on the topic.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.