Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Thu December 20, 2012
Vermont Representative Poirier Drops Plans to Run for Speaker
Vermont State Representative Paul Poirier is no longer running for speaker of the House.
The Barre independent sent an email to House members on Wednesday saying he has dropped his plans to challenge Democratic incumbent Speaker Shap Smith because he says he couldn't win.
The Burlington Free Press reports that Poirier said he didn't want to waste time on a hopeless challenge and start the new session with bad feelings.
The House will elect a speaker when the legislative session opens on Jan. 9.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.