Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
Wed December 12, 2012
Vermont Still 1st in Peace Corp Volunteers
Peace Corps officials say Vermont is continuing its ranking as the top state for the per capita production of Peace Corps volunteers.
Since the Peace Corp was created more than 50 years ago, 1,453 Vermonters have served as volunteers across the world.
Only the District of Columbia has a higher per capita ranking.
Officials announced the rankings Wednesday.
The same rankings found that New Hampshire ranked fourth and Maine eighth.
The Peace Corps' Northeast Regional office manager Brian Melman says the region has a culture of involvement and community engagement.
Since its creation, Peace Corps has operated in 139 countries and now operates in 76 countries with volunteers serving in development programs as varied as HIV-AIDS education and information technology.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.