Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Major Decisions On Casinos, Hydrofracking And Thruway Tolls Due Before End Of Year
- NY Health And Environmental Chiefs: No To Fracking
- ALCO Tunnels Pique Anti-Casino Group's Concern
Wed December 12, 2012
Vermont Still 1st in Peace Corp Volunteers
Peace Corps officials say Vermont is continuing its ranking as the top state for the per capita production of Peace Corps volunteers.
Since the Peace Corp was created more than 50 years ago, 1,453 Vermonters have served as volunteers across the world.
Only the District of Columbia has a higher per capita ranking.
Officials announced the rankings Wednesday.
The same rankings found that New Hampshire ranked fourth and Maine eighth.
The Peace Corps' Northeast Regional office manager Brian Melman says the region has a culture of involvement and community engagement.
Since its creation, Peace Corps has operated in 139 countries and now operates in 76 countries with volunteers serving in development programs as varied as HIV-AIDS education and information technology.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.