Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
Mon September 24, 2012
Vermont Student Admits Smuggling 20 Guns to Canada
A former student at a Vermont military college is in prison serving a seven year sentence after he admitted smuggling at least 20 firearms into Canada where he traded them for drugs.
Court documents say most of the weapons smuggled by 22-year-old August Nommik, of Newport, were handguns, but at least three were assault rifles.
The documents say one of those weapons, a handgun stolen in Derby in August 2010, was recovered a week later in Quebec. The documents didn't say what happened to the other weapons.
Prosecutors described Nommik as a Norwich University student who sold the drugs he received in exchange for the guns in the Newport and Northfield areas.
Nommik was first charged in April 2011. He pleaded guilty in April and was sentenced earlier this month.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.