Most Active Stories
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
- From The Museum To The Dorm Room: Williams Art Loan Program
Mon September 24, 2012
Vermont Student Admits Smuggling 20 Guns to Canada
A former student at a Vermont military college is in prison serving a seven year sentence after he admitted smuggling at least 20 firearms into Canada where he traded them for drugs.
Court documents say most of the weapons smuggled by 22-year-old August Nommik, of Newport, were handguns, but at least three were assault rifles.
The documents say one of those weapons, a handgun stolen in Derby in August 2010, was recovered a week later in Quebec. The documents didn't say what happened to the other weapons.
Prosecutors described Nommik as a Norwich University student who sold the drugs he received in exchange for the guns in the Newport and Northfield areas.
Nommik was first charged in April 2011. He pleaded guilty in April and was sentenced earlier this month.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.