Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
Fri September 21, 2012
Vermont Town Officials Put at Ease on Disaster Prep
A top official in the southern Vermont town of Dummerston says he's less worried now that he's learned more about preparations for an emergency at the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant.
The Brattleboro Reformer reports that Select Board member Tom Bodett had told a panel of state officials earlier this month that the emergency evacuation plan for the area around Vermont Yankee was something "no one really believes in."
Since then, Bodett joined the town's emergency management director Rick Davis for a meeting with state emergency planning officials. He now says his concerns largely have been addressed.
Bodett had expressed concerns about traffic exiting the area during an emergency and about whether adequate plans were in place to evacuate children from schools.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.