Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
Fri September 21, 2012
Vermont Town Officials Put at Ease on Disaster Prep
A top official in the southern Vermont town of Dummerston says he's less worried now that he's learned more about preparations for an emergency at the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant.
The Brattleboro Reformer reports that Select Board member Tom Bodett had told a panel of state officials earlier this month that the emergency evacuation plan for the area around Vermont Yankee was something "no one really believes in."
Since then, Bodett joined the town's emergency management director Rick Davis for a meeting with state emergency planning officials. He now says his concerns largely have been addressed.
Bodett had expressed concerns about traffic exiting the area during an emergency and about whether adequate plans were in place to evacuate children from schools.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.