Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
WAMC New York News
Fri July 29, 2005
Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant Terminology Over Outage Causes Concern
By Pat Bradley
Vernon, VT – The Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant automatically shut down last Monday afternoon after an electrical insulator in the plant's switchyard failed. Surrounding communities, states and their emergency personnel were notified of the plant's shut-down. Two days later, New Hampshire's governor became irate after reading press reports of a catastrophic failure at the plant, since his notification had been about a routine incident. The key problem appears to be in the semantics used in reporting the incident.
WAMC's North Country Bureau Chief Pat Bradley has more.