Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Hinsdale Residents Call For Select Chair's Resignation
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
Wed July 18, 2012
Vox Pop : Gambling : 7/18/12
With less than 48 hours until the first race of the 2012 season at Saratoga Race Course – today we’re talking gambling.
While the Saratoga season is just beginning, already reports indicate Governor Andrew Cuomo is set to unveil the members of the New York Racing Association’s new board, whose installation was precipitated earlier this year after the naming of new president Ellen McClain without input from state officials, following the firing of former president and CEO Charles Hayward, an alleged party to a scandal that cost the betting public over $8 million.
The meet also comes as officials Massachusetts ramp-up plans to develop recently legalized full casino gaming.
What’s your take on gambling? Is it good for local economies, or do the potential harms outweigh the monetary benefits? WAMC’s Ray Graf hosts.