Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
Tue July 23, 2013
Vox Pop : How Smart Are Animals? - 7/23/13
According to a recently released study, dolphins call each other by name. Scottish scientists showed that Dolphins use unique whistles to identify individuals. From Science Daily.com comes recent news that scientists at the University of Vienna have shown that an the Goffin Cockatoo has the ability to solve complex mechanical problems. There was a study released last fall that showed Beluga whales can achieve human-like speech patterns.
Just how smart are animals, anyway? On this edition of Vox Pop, Alan Chartock invites listeners to weigh in on that question, and share their own stories of animal aptitude.