Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
Wed August 22, 2012
Vox Pop : Open Forum - Akin and the GOP : 8/22/12
Since apologizing earlier this week for his remarks on rape and pregnancy, Republican Missouri Rep. Todd Akin has been rebuked by democrats and republicans alike, with presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney saying he should, “Exit the senate race,” and Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Preibus telling him, “not to come,” to next week’s Republican National Convention.
Today we’re asking you to look past the content of Akin’s comments and instead look at the political implications. What would his remaining in the senate race, which he has said he will do, mean for the credibility and organization of the Republican Party? Will this latest in a series of high profile GOP ‘gaffes’ take away from what is supposed to be Romney’s shining moment? WAMC’s Alan Chartock hosts.