Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
Tue August 21, 2012
Vox Pop : Open Forum - Condoms in Schools : 8/21/12
Public school officials in Springfield, Massachusetts will be mailing letters and making telephone calls to the parents and guardians of thousands of middle and school students to let them know about the district’s new condom availability policy.
Starting September 1, condoms will be available to students from school nurses. parents and guardians who do not want their children to have access to condoms can opt-out of the policy, but at least one school committee member has called idea that condoms could be given out in school to 12-year-olds, “unnerving.”
What do you think of this policy? Should school nurses be allowed to distribute condoms? Do you think this will lead to fewer pregnancies or cases of sexually transmitted diseases? WAMC’s Alan Chartock hosts.