Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
Wed January 16, 2013
Vox Pop : Open Forum - Flu 2013 : 1/16/13
While it began in October, flu season has arrived in earnest this month with a vengeance -The Centers for Disease Control reports that flu is now widespread in 46 states.
In New York, state health officials say that flu vaccine is still available, but there may be some localized shortages because of late season demand.
The New York State Department of Health says it’s received reports of 2,884 patients hospitalized with confirmed influenza by early this month. So far this season, more than 19,000 cases of influenza have been reported in the Empire State, compared with some 4,400 positive lab tests reported in the 2011-2012 season.
Today we want to hear your side of the flu story. Have you been vaccinated? Are you having a hard time finding a place to get vaccinated?
Maybe you’re home this afternoon with some chicken soup and tea recovering from the flu, or maybe you’ve got some time-tested home remedy or prevention technique. It’s “the flu and you” today on Vox Pop.
Also, joining us in studio on this edition of Vox Pop to answer your flu related questions is Dr. Guthrie S. Birkhead, Deputy Commissioner of the Office of Public Health for the New York State Department of Health. WAMC's Alan Chartock hosts.