Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
Tue April 9, 2013
Vox Pop : Open Forum - Gun Control : 4/9/13
Today could mark a big step towards reforming gun control policies across the nation as U.S. Senate Democrats meet with their Republican counterparts to try and broker a deal on legislation filed yesterday following a GOP filibuster threat.
Also in Washington today are 11 relatives of the victims of the December shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. They will be meeting with legislators and pushing for reforms.
Those relatives caught a ride to Washington on Air Force One last night from Hartford following a speech by President Barack Obama in which he warned Republicans not to delay on the reforms, which include expanded federal background checks for gun buyers, and measures to address gun trafficking, including more onerous penalties for so-called straw buyers.
Recent polling shows that more than 90 percent of Americans support expanded background checks.
Today we want to know what you think about the latest debate and whether you think the legislation now under consideration should be passed. WAMC's Alan Chartock Hosts.