Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
North Country News
Fri October 18, 2013
VT Court Rejects Obama Citizenship Challenge
The Vermont Supreme Court has rejected a claim by a former Republican U.S. Senate candidate from Vermont that President Barack Obama's name should not have been placed on last year's Vermont ballot because he is not a "natural-born citizen" of the United States.
H. Brooke Paige had made the claim based on what he said were legal treatises and other writings from around the time of the U.S. Constitution. Obama is a U.S. citizen by virtue of his birth in Hawaii. His father, Barack Obama Sr., was born in Kenya.
Paige, who lost in last year's Republican U.S. Senate primary, sought a court order barring Secretary of State Jim Condos from putting Obama's name on the ballot.
He lost in the Superior Court and now at the state Supreme Court.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.