Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
New England News
Thu September 12, 2013
Vt. Gov Says Marijuana Will Be Legal Some Day
Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin says he thinks marijuana should be legalized in the state, but not right now.
He says he believes that legalizing and taxing marijuana is the direction the country is headed and "Vermont should be a part of that conversation."
But he says he's not willing to do that now.
Shumlin made the comments Wednesday after being asked about the topic during his weekly news conference.
Last month the U.S Justice Department said it would not sue to block laws in Colorado and Washington state that allow for recreational use of marijuana.
On July 1, Vermont decriminalized the possession of small amounts of marijuana.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.