Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
North Country News
Fri May 25, 2012
VT Governor Backs Fighter Jet Plan for Burlington
Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin says he supports a plan to bring F-35 fighter jets to the Air National Guard base at the Burlington International Airport. WAMC’s North Country Bureau Chief Pat Bradley reports…
Shumlin says Vermont should be honored to host the F-35. He calls it a commentary on the quality of the Vermont National Guard.
The Air Force is considering a proposal to base between 18 and 24 of the planes in South Burlington.
But residents and officials in some of the communities near the airport aren't as supportive. The F-35 is louder than the F-16s currently based in Burlington.
Vermont Public Radio reports the governor feels the additional noise will be offset by their faster speed so the noise won't be audible for as long and the F-35s emit less pollution.
I’m Pat Bradley, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.