Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
North Country News
Sun February 2, 2014
VT National Guard Reports 6 Sex Assaults
The Vermont National Guard says six reported sexual assaults occurred among its ranks within the last fiscal year.
The report says that half of the cases incurred a military administrative investigation. One additional case incurred a civilian criminal investigation.
Cathleen Wilson of HOPE Works, a group that provides counseling services to sex assault victims, tells WCAX-TV that this was the first time the number of victims of sexual assault has been made public.
Major General Steven Cray says the guard plans to improve the reporting system for these types of crimes.
As of last May, the Vermont National Guard is compelled by law to provide an annual report on sex assault, gender discrimination and discrimination based on sexual orientation.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.