Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Thu November 29, 2012
VT, NH and Maine Rank High for Graduation Rates
The U.S. Department of Education says northern New England states have some of the best high school graduation rates in the country.
The department on Wednesday released rankings that for the first time compare states using the same data.
Vermont had the third-best graduation rate, at 87 percent, while New Hampshire ranked seventh with an 86 percent rate. Maine came in 10th, at 84 percent.
Iowa had the highest graduation rate, 88 percent, while the District of Columbia had the lowest rate, 59 percent.
The Portland Press Herald says the ranking method essentially bases the rates on students who enter school as ninth-graders and graduate within four years.
The approach allows for direct comparisons among states.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.