Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New England News
Tue September 3, 2013
Vt. Officials Announce Expanded Free Meal Program
Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin and Education Secretary Armando Vilaseca plan to announce a new initiative to make free, school-based breakfasts and lunches available to more low-income students.
The federal government provides funding for free or reduced-priced lunches depending on the income level of the student's family.
Legislation passed this year at Shumlin's request provides additional state funding to allow students who were getting reduced-price meals to get them for free.
The event is set for 11 a.m. at the Barre Town Elementary School.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.