Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
New England News
Tue September 3, 2013
Vt. Officials Announce Expanded Free Meal Program
Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin and Education Secretary Armando Vilaseca plan to announce a new initiative to make free, school-based breakfasts and lunches available to more low-income students.
The federal government provides funding for free or reduced-priced lunches depending on the income level of the student's family.
Legislation passed this year at Shumlin's request provides additional state funding to allow students who were getting reduced-price meals to get them for free.
The event is set for 11 a.m. at the Barre Town Elementary School.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.