Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
North Country News
Fri May 18, 2012
VT Postal Processing Center to Stay Open
The mail processing plant operated by the U.S. Postal Service in White River Junction will remain open, saving 245 jobs. WAMC’s North Country Bureau Chief Pat Bradley reports…
Senators Bernie Sanders and Patrick Leahy and U.S. Representative Peter Welch announced on Thursday that the postal service plant, which earlier had been threatened with closure, will remain open under legislation the Vermont delegation championed.
Sanders says keeping the center open will help ensure good postal service in Vermont…
“The unions and the business community in the area made the case to the postal service that that facility plays an extraordinarily important role in the local economy – that it’s important that mail be delivered in a timely manner and the postal service got the message.”
Sanders also is backing legislation to let the postal service become more entrepreneurial.
He wants the postal service to explore new opportunities to increase business, such as expanding digital services, selling hunting and fishing licenses, making copies, notarizing documents, and cashing checks. That measure is pending in the House.
I’m Pat Bradley, WAMC News.