Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
North Country News
Mon April 30, 2012
VT U.S. Representative Welch to Collect Student Debt Stories
Vermont's U.S. Representative Peter Welch is going to be compiling stories about student debt.
Welch is going to be at the University of Vermont on Monday where he will launch an initiative to compile stories from Vermont students and families about the burden of student loan debt.
In Vermont, almost 70 percent of college graduates have an average of $30,000 in debt.
Student debt is topping $1 trillion dollars, exceeding credit card debt.
Congress is working to avoid a doubling of the Federal Direct Stafford Student Loan interest rates scheduled on July 1 to 6.8 percent.
Just after mid-day Monday, Welch is scheduled to meet with students at UVM's Davis Center.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.