Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
North Country News
Tue October 29, 2013
VT Utility Warns About Phone Scam
A Vermont utility is warning customers about a phone scam.
Green Mountain Power said Tuesday that there have been several reports this week of callers claiming to be representing GMP and demanding credit card or money card information from customers to pay their account balance or face disconnection.
GMP says it follows state rules when working with customers on past due bills and would not demand credit card information or other payment mechanisms. Anyone receiving such a call, should not give out personal information, including account or credit card numbers, and should contact police.
Some of the calls have come from 802-489-0564, which has a recorded message stating that it is GMP's billing department.
Customers with questions about the source of a call are advised to call GMP at 1-888-835-4672.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.