Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New England News
Fri September 28, 2012
Wellness Initiative Receives $2 Million From CDC
The Federal Centers For Disease Control has awarded a $2 million dollar grant for a wellness initiative in Springfield Massachusetts. WAMC”S Paul Tuthill reports
The money will fund several efforts designed to improve access to healthy food and physical activity. The Pioneer Valley Riverfront Club will expand its biking programs and rowing on the Connecticut River. Club president Jonathan Moss says they’ll partner with pediatricians who have patients that need to burn calories.
The federal funding will promote increased use of the 3.7 mile long Springfield Riverwalk. A mobile farmers market program will be expanded to visit more senior centers and public housing complexes.