Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Fri September 28, 2012
Wellness Initiative Receives $2 Million From CDC
The Federal Centers For Disease Control has awarded a $2 million dollar grant for a wellness initiative in Springfield Massachusetts. WAMC”S Paul Tuthill reports
The money will fund several efforts designed to improve access to healthy food and physical activity. The Pioneer Valley Riverfront Club will expand its biking programs and rowing on the Connecticut River. Club president Jonathan Moss says they’ll partner with pediatricians who have patients that need to burn calories.
The federal funding will promote increased use of the 3.7 mile long Springfield Riverwalk. A mobile farmers market program will be expanded to visit more senior centers and public housing complexes.