Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
New England News
Fri July 19, 2013
West Springfield Casino Referendum Date To Be Set
The town council in West Springfield, Massachusetts has scheduled a meeting on Tuesday to set a date for a voter referendum on the casino development deal proposed by Hard Rock International
Hard Rock New England President Tim Maland said he’ll ask the council to schedule the referendum for September 10th so that it occurs before the start of the Big E the following weekend.
Hard Rock wants to build a resort casino on part of the Big E fairgrounds.
A casino development deal with MGM Resorts has already been ratified by Springfield voters. Pro casino groups in Palmer have formed a campaign committee in anticipation of a vote on Mohegan Sun’s casino.. The Massachusetts Gaming commission has the final say on which project gets the lone casino license available in western Massachusetts.