Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
New England News
Mon July 22, 2013
West Springfield Expected To Set Casino Vote Soon
The town council in West Springfield, Massachusetts has scheduled a meeting to set a date for a voter referendum on the casino development deal proposed by Hard Rock International.
The President of Hard Rock New England said he'll ask the council when it meets on Tuesday to schedule the referendum for Sept. 10, before the start of the Big E expo the following weekend.
Hard Rock wants to build an $800 million resort casino on part of the Eastern States Exhibition fairgrounds.
Springfield voters last week approved a casino development deal with MGM Resorts.
Casino backers in Palmer have formed a campaign committee in anticipation of a vote on Mohegan Sun's proposal.
The Massachusetts Gaming commission will decide which project gets the casino license for western Massachusetts.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.